NORTH CANTON, Ohio – The Walsh men's basketball team resumes Great Midwest action with a trip up the highway to battle the Lake Erie College Storm on Saturday (Jan. 19) afternoon. The game will tip-off at 1:00 PM as of this writing due to snowy weather heading towards Ohio.
Live Stats: http://www.athletics.walsh.edu/sports/mbkb/2018-19/boxscores/20190119_vatm.xml
Live Video/Audio: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/lakeerie/
Game Notes: Click here
The Cavaliers and the Storm have faced 24 times in the last thirty years with Walsh winning 20 of the 24 matchups thus far. Lake Erie has won the last three contests, all last season.
- Walsh ended non-conference play with a 99-65 victory over Wilberforce at Alumni Arena on Tuesday (Jan. 15). The Cavaliers went 5-3 in games outside the conference.
- Six players scored double-figures for the Cavaliers in the 34-point victory, including all five starters.
- JT Shumate shot 80% (8-10) from the floor en route to a team-high 19 points along with nine rebounds. Shumate is second in the conference with 18.9 points per game, behind Malone's Nate Sheppard. He is shooting 51.2% from the floor, tenth best in the conference. Along with shooting over 50% from the floor, JT is also shooting 41.9% from deep (eighth best in the G-MAC). He is tied with teammate Sterling Christy for third most blocks in the league (1.6 per game). He is second on the team with 110 total rebounds and 6.5 per game.
- Sterling Christy made six shots and six free throws for a total of 18 points with seven rebounds. Christy is averaging 13.5 points per game and is second in the conference with 9.6 rebounds per game. He ranks second with a 57.5% (96-167) shooting percentage. He ranks ninth in the nation with 7.6 defensive rebounds a game and is tenth in DII with 163 total rebounds this season. He is tied with Shumate for third in the conference for total blocks (27) and blocks per game (1.6).
- Mark Mokros made three treys as he scored 15 points, Conner Wess and Darryl Straughter each scored 11 points and Caleb Canter finished with 10 points.
- Straughter is second on the team and ninth in the conference with 15.8 points per game in 33.5 minutes per game (2nd in the G-MAC). He is shooting 90.9% (50-55) from the free throw line, which is second best in the conference. He is the team leader in three pointers made with 49 and is fourth with 2.9 made per game.
- Wess leads the G-MAC with a 3.2 Assist/Turnover ratio.
- The offense has scored 1,347 points for an average of 79.2 per game, fifth most in the G-MAC. The team has scored more points than the season average seven times.
- The defense has held teams to an average of 68.4 points per game this season and teams have been held under the scoring average 11 times this season. The team also leads the G-MAC with the lowest field-goal percentage allowed as opponents are shooting 41.1% against the Cavaliers.
- Walsh is shooting 45.3% from the floor, sixth best in the conference.
- The team is averaging 40.1 rebounds a contest, including 29.7 defensive and 10.4 offensive. They rank in the G-MAC third, second and fifth in those respective categories.
- Walsh is top in the G-MAC in terms of three pointers made total and per game with 181 and 10.6. They are 16th in Division II for three pointers made.
- After taking 30 three point shots on Tuesday, Walsh is still 12th in DII with 495 three point attempts.
- Walsh is 2-4 on the road and have not played on the road since December 15th.
Lake Erie Notes
- Lake Erie is 10-7 overall and 5-4 in the conference after a 67-64 to Malone snapped a four game winning streak. Lamont Rhodes led the Storm with 12 points and nine rebounds.
- The reigning G-MAC Athlete of the Week, Gabe Kynard, leads the Storm with 18.3 points per game and is tied for third in the conference. He scored 11 points against Malone and recently reached 1,000 career points with the Storm. He is shooting 47.5% from the floor, and 77% from the free throw line. He is fifth in the conference in free throw percentage. He is also ninth in the G-MAC with 41.5% shooting from deep. He averages 32.7 minutes a game, fourth most in the conference. He is third on the Storm with 5.4 rebounds a game.
- Erron James is second on the team with 10.5 points and 5.6 rebounds after he scored nine points and eight rebounds against the Pioneers.
- Brogan Scott is the third leading scorer with 9.0 points and he is the leading rebounder with 6.1 per game.
- The Storm have scored 1,240 points this season, an average of 72.9 per game, ranked ninth in the G-MAC. They have allowed 1171 points, an average of 68.9 per game, which is third in the conference.
- Lake Erie is shooting 41.8% overall, 31.7% from three and 64.4% from the charity stripe, all are 12th in the conference.
- The Storm are leading the conference with 698 total rebounds and 41.1 per game. They have 225 offensive rebounds (most) and 473 defensive (third most) this season.
G-MAC Schedule (1/18-1/19)
- Alderson Broaddus @ Tiffin (Friday)
- Davis & Elkins @ Cedarville
- Walsh @ Lake Erie
- Trevecca Nazarene @ Ohio Dominican
- Kentucky Wesleyan @ Ohio Valley
- Hillsdale @ Findlay
Walsh is back on the court for two straight home games, starting with Alderson Broaddus on Thursday (Jan. 24) night.