NORTH CANTON, Ohio – The Walsh Cavaliers men's basketball team will play their second game this week after a Monday afternoon game at Lake Erie with a night home game on Thursday (Jan. 24) at Alumni Arena. The Cavaliers will host the Alderson Broaddus Battlers on Beach Night.
Live Stats/Video: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/walsh
Game Notes: HERE
The series between the Cavaliers and the Battlers has been a short one but has spanned nearly 40 years. Only five meetings have been played between the two schools, with Walsh winning three games. Before Walsh joined the G-MAC, the last meeting was during the 1986-87 season. Walsh swept the series last season.
- Walsh fell 68-63 to the Storm of Lake Erie on Monday (Jan. 21) afternoon, the Cavs' fourth straight loss to Lake Erie.
- JT Shumate led the Cavaliers with 18 points in a team-high 36 minutes. He knocked down seven shots, with two three pointers and two free throws. Shumate is the leading scorer on the Cavaliers and second leading scorer in the G-MAC with 18.9 points. The freshman leads all freshman in D2 with his scoring average. He is shooting 51.3% from the floor, 42.3% from three-point land and 72.1% from the free throw line. His three-point percentage is ranked seventh in the conference. He is second on the team with 6.4 rebounds per game and 115 total. Shumate is tied with teammate Sterling Christy in the blocks category with 28 total, the third most in the conference.
- Mark Mokros fueled the bench effort with 11 points, his second straight double-digit scoring total. He made two three pointers and added a key three-point play in the first half of Monday's game. Mokros is averaging 5.1 points per game off the bench.
- Sterling Christy added ten points and five rebounds against the Storm. Christy is third on the team with 13.3 points a game. He leads the Cavaliers and is third in the conference with 9.3 rebounds a game. With 161 total boards, Christy has the most in the G-MAC. He is second in the conference with a field goal percentage of 56.2% (100-178). He is second in the conference and 11th in D2 with 7.4 defensive rebounds a game. Christy is tied with Shumate for the team lead in blocks and third in the league.
- Darryl Straughter is the second leading scorer for the team with 13.3 points per game in a league high 33.6 minutes per game. Straughter is money from the charity stripe as he has made 50-55 free throws this season, a 90.9% percentage, 2nd in the G-MAC. He is the leader for the Cavaliers three-point charge as he has made 51 threes (2.8 per game).
- As a team, the Cavaliers have scored 78.3 points per game (1,410), the fifth best scoring average of the conference. They are shooting 45.1% from the floor (7th best).
- Defensively, the Cavaliers have held teams to 68.3 points per game (1,230), the second lowest in the league. Walsh has held teams under the scoring average 12 times this season and have held teams to a shooting percentage of 41.1%, a league best.
- The Cavaliers control the boards as they average the third most rebounds in the conference, with 39.7 rebounds. They grab an average of 29.4 on defense and 10.3 on offense, ranking second and sixth, respectively.
- Walsh is the G-MAC leader with 190 three pointers made and that ranks 18th in all of Division II. They average 10.6 made per game and that is the most in the G-MAC. They also lead the conference with 520 attempts, the 12th most in D2.
- The Cavaliers rank fifth in Division II with 13.2 personal fouls per game and eighth in D2 with 9.9 turnovers per game.
Alderson Broaddus Notes
- Alderson Broaddus is 8-8 overall and 5-4 in the G-MAC following an 86-85 thrilling win over Tiffin last week. Mike Davis scored a game-high 32 points, including the game-winner with two seconds left.
- Davis is the leading scorer for the Battlers with 15.5 points per game, coming off 46.7% shooting from the floor.
- Brandon Simmons is the second leading scorer on the team with 13.5 points per game, shooting 52.7% (fifth-best). He leads the team with 9.5 rebounds per game and 123 total. He ranks second in the conference in rebounds and is second in offensive (3.4) boards and sixth in defensive (6.1) rebounds. He is tied with Darryl Straughter for the league lead in minutes played, 33.6 per game.
- Tyler Golphin (12.0), David Shriver (11.0) and Coye Campbell (10.7) all average double-digits for the Battlers while Malik Bocook is second on the team with 9.4 rebounds.
- Ta'Sharra Jeffries is tied for fourth in the conference with 1.9 steals per game.
- Alderson Broaddus has scored 1,193 points, an average of 74.6 per game (8th in the G-MAC) and have allowed 1,212 points, an average of 75.8 per game (9th in the G-MAC).
- The Battlers are shooting 45.7% for field goals (5th), 36.6% from three (5th) and 69.4% (8th) from the free throw line.
- They average 36.1 rebounds a game (6th) with 24.3 defensive and 11.8 offensive. They rank 11th in defensive rebounds and third in offensive boards.
G-MAC Schedule (1/24/19)
- Ohio Valley @ Tiffin
- Ohio Dominican @ Cedarville
- Davis & Elkins @ Malone
- Alderson Broaddus @ Walsh
- Hillsdale @ Kentucky Wesleyan
- Findlay @ Trevecca Nazarene
Walsh will close out the two game home stand with Davis & Elkins on Saturday (Jan. 26) afternoon at 3:00 PM for the final home game of the month.