(CANTON, Ohio) – In its first match of the calendar year, Walsh fell from the ranks of the unbeaten with a 6-3 defeat to Edinboro on Saturday. The Cavaliers are now 4-1 while the Fighting Scots are 3-0.
The day wasn't without any positives however. Vasily Vidmanov scored a major win over Vitor Albanese in first singles by scores of 7-6, 5-7, 6-0. Albanese entered the contest ranked No. 13 in the Atlantic Region.
Walsh also scored wins at fifth and sixth singles. Heitor Adegas recorded the W in the five spot with a 6-1, 7-6 win over Kevin Mboko. Guilherme Carneiro picked up the win in sixes with a 6-1, 6-1 decision over Thomas McCoy.
Walsh will see a familiar opponent next week in former conference foe Wayne State next Saturday at 4 p.m.
1. Vasily Vidmanov (WALSH-M) def. #13 Vitor Albanese (EDIN-M) 7-6, 5-7, 6-0
2. Daniel Fernandez (EDIN-M) def. Filipp Kulynych (WALSH-M) 6-3, 6-4
3. Mateus Santos (EDIN-M) def. Jonah Carter (WALSH-M) 6-1, 6-1
4. Christian Roettger (EDIN-M) def. Rodrigo Garcia (WALSH-M) 3-6, 6-3, 10-5
5. Heitor Adegas (WALSH-M) def. Kevin Mboko (EDIN-M) 6-1, 7-6
6. Guilherme Carneiro (WALSH-M) def. Thomas McCoy (EDIN-M) 6-1, 6-1
1. Vitor Albanese/Christian Roettger (EDIN-M) def. Vasily Vidmanov/Rodrigo Garcia (WALSH-M) 8-6
2. Daniel Fernandez/Kevin Mboko (EDIN-M) def. Heitor Adegas/Guilherme Carneiro (WALSH-M) 8-4
3. Mauricio Santos/Mateus Santos (EDIN-M) def. Filipp Kulynych/Jonah Carter (WALSH-M) 8-4