NORTH CANTON, Ohio – The Walsh Cavaliers women's basketball team will make the short trek north to Ursuline College for a Thursday (Jan. 17) matchup with the Arrows at Stano Athletic Center in Pepper Pike, Ohio.
Live video/stats: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/ursuline/
Game Notes: Click Here
The Cavaliers and Arrows have faced off 18 times, dating back to the 1979-80 season. Walsh won the first nine meetings and have won 16 of 18 matchups. Ursuline won the first game 76-59 last season while Walsh ended the season series with an 84-68 victory.
- Walsh is 11-4 overall and 7-2 in the conference after a 76-56 victory over the Pioneers of Malone University last Saturday (Jan. 12).
- The team is 3-3 on the road and will play on the road for the first time since December 18th.
- The Cavaliers have won four straight for the second time this season.
- Three different players led the Cavaliers with 13 points against the Pioneers. Quionche Carter, Lexie Scarton and Hannah Blake all scored 13 points to lead Walsh in the victory.
- Carter leads the Cavaliers with 19.2 points per game and is second in the G-MAC with scoring average and total points with 288. She is second in the G-MAC with shooting 50.8% (99-195) in 15 games. Her 6.3 rebounds per game lead the team and are tied for eighth in the conference. She is tenth in free throw percentage with 77.7% but is tied for first in the G-MAC and seventh in DII with 87 free throws made. Sha also ranks fourth in offensive rebounds per game with 2.9 but is tied for first with 44 total.
- Scarton is averaging 9.2 points per game as a freshman. She is shooting 44.4% from three as she is second on the team with 24 three pointers.
- Blake set a new career-high with 13 points against the Pioneers. She shot four-of-five from the floor with two three pointers and three free throws.
- Mayci Sales is the second-leading scorer on the Cavaliers with 10.8 points per game. Sales is the top blocker on the team as she has 18 blocks (1.5) per game. That ranks second per game in the conference and she is tied for first within in total blocks.
- Against Malone, Walsh held the Pioneers scoreless for 8:31 during the first half and held Malone without a basket for 11:11 of game time, spanning the entire second quarter. Malone only scored four points in the second quarter, all on free throws.
- Walsh has held opponents to four points in a ten-minute quarter five times since joining Division II in 2013.
- Walsh has the top scoring offense in the G-MAC and 14th in all of D2 with 1,206 points (80.4 per game).
- With the top scoring offense, the team is shooting 45.7% from the floor, which is second best in the conference.
- The team is averaging 41 rebounds a game, the most in the G-MAC. They average 28 on the defensive end (most in the G-MAC) and 13 on offense (third in the G-MAC).
- Ursuline is 5-10 overall and 4-5 in the G-MAC this season. The Arrows were defeated by Cedarville 66-58 on Saturday at home.
- Julia Cardwell is the leading scorer for the Arrows with 15.0 points per game, which is third in the G-MAC. She is fifth in the G-MAC with a 41.9% field goal percentage this season. With 6.6 rebounds per game, Cardwell is second on the squad and sixth in the conference. She averages 4.9 defensive rebounds per game, fourth best in the G-MAC. Throughout the year, she has made 57-of-66 free throws (86.4%), the third best free throw percentage in the conference.
- Paige Salisbury is second on the team with 8.1 points per game and she leads the team with 117 total rebounds and 7.8 per game. Salisbury ranks second in the conference with rebounds per game and is second in total rebounds. She is the team leader in assists with 64 or 4.3 per game, the second most in the conference. She has one triple double this season, the only one in the conference.
- The Arrows have scored 1019 points this season, 67.9 per game, the eighth most of the G-MAC schools. The defense has allowed 1103 points, or 73.5 points per contest, 12th in the conference.
- As a team, they are shooting 38.1% from the floor, 32.6% from three and 75.9% from the free throw line. They rank tenth, seventh and second in those respective categories.
- They average 37.3 rebounds per contest, the sixth most in the conference and average four blocks a game, second in the league.
G-MAC Schedule (1/17/19):
- Davis & Elkins @ Tiffin
- Alderson Broaddus @ Cedarville
- Trevecca Nazarene @ Ohio Valley
- Kentucky Wesleyan @ Ohio Dominican
- Walsh @ Ursuline
- Malone @ Lake Erie
The Cavaliers will return to action on Saturday (Jan. 19) when they travel to Painesville, Ohio for a G-Mac matchup with the Lake Erie Storm, beginning at 1:00 PM.