NORTH CANTON, Ohio – After the regular season concluded, the Walsh Cavaliers women's basketball team will look to the second part of the season as they commence the Great Midwest Tournament on Tuesday (March 5). The number one seeded Cavaliers will host the eighth-seeded Trevecca Nazarene Trojans at 5:30 PM in the quarterfinal matchup.
This will be the fifth meeting between the Cavaliers and the Trojans in the series. Since the series started last season with both schools playing in the G-MAC, each school has won two contests. This season, Trevecca won at home 80-75 but the Cavaliers defended Alumni Arena with a 75-55 win last month.
- The Cavaliers clinched a share of the regular season title and the number one seed for the G-MAC Tournament with an 81-68 win over Ursuline on Saturday (March 2).
- This was the first regular season championship for the Cavaliers since the 2010-11 season when they won the American Mideast Conference.
- Brittni Clopton reached a career milestone with 1,000 career points on a free throw with 3.3 seconds left in the third quarter. She is the 22nd member of the 1,000-point club, reaching it on her Senior Day. She finished with nine points, totaling 1,003 career points.
- Mayci Sales set a career-high with 25 points on 11-of-19 shooting. She scored 17 points in the first half against the Arrows. She averages 12.0 points a game and 6.2 rebounds per contest. She ranks seventh in rebounds per game, first in field goal percentage (53.9%) and second with 1.4 blocks per game.
- Quionche Carter had 15 points, seven rebounds and three assists. She went seven-for-seven from the free throw line. Carter is second in the conference with 16.5 points per game and is the second-highest scoring freshman in Division II.
- Five other players scored at least seven points in the game.
- Walsh has won nine straight games, the same thing they did last season as they entered the G-MAC Tournament on an eight-game winning streak.
- Walsh is hosting a postseason matchup for the first time since the 2015-16 season. With a win, the G-MAC Tournament will run through North Canton.
- Since joining D2, Walsh is 3-4 in the postseason tournaments. They are 3-1 in quarterfinal matchups.
- Walsh scores 77.5 points per game and is shooting 45.3% from the floor.
- Defensively, the Cavaliers are allowing 62.8 points per game and holding teams 37.7% shooting.
- Walsh is 12-2 at Alumni Arena this season.
TREVECCA NAZARENE NOTES
- Trevecca Nazarene enters the tournament with a 12-16 record and a 11-11 G-MAC mark.
- The Trojans ended the regular season on a two game losing streak. Most recently, Trevecca fell 54-39 to Findlay.
- Callie Hackett leads the Trojans with 13.2 points per game and is shooting 42.9% from the floor.
- Brittin Boyer is second on the team in points scored and the leader in rebounds per game. She averages 11.3 points and 7.8 rebounds per game. She is third in the conference in rebounds per game and is the eighth best free throw shooter (77.3%).
- Olivia Pepperman leads the conference in steals and is averaging 10.1 points per contest.
- Overall, Trevecca scores 64.5 points per game and shoots 37.6%, ninth and 12th, respectively.
- On the road, Trevecca is 4-9 this season and have lost their last five road contests.
|Free Throw %||71.4%||8th||67.7%||11th|
|Field Goal %||45.3%||2nd||37.6%||12th|
|Field Goal % Defense||37.7%||2nd||42.1%||11th|
|3 Point %||32.8%||T-6th||27.7%||12th|
|3 Point Defense %||30.1%||2nd||31.5%||8th|
|3 Point FG Made||6.8||7th||5.7||10th|
AROUND THE LEAGUE
- #7 Ohio Dominican @ #2 Kentucky Wesleyan
- #6 Malone @ #3 Cedarville
- #5 Hillsdale @ #4 Findlay
The winner of the Walsh-Trevecca matchup will face the winner of the 4 and 5 seed matchup. With a win, Walsh will host the rest of the tournament on Friday and Saturday.