NORTH CANTON, Ohio - The second longest road trip of the season comes to an end for the Walsh women's basketball team as they will play the final two games of four straight away from Alumni Arena this week. On Thursday (Feb. 7), the Cavaliers will look to avenge a loss to the Davis & Elkins Senators at 7:30 PM. The Alderson Broaddus Battlers will be the last game of the two in West Virginia on Saturday (Feb. 9) at 2:00 PM.
Between the Senators and the Battlers, Walsh has only played both schools a total of 18 times. Walsh is 5-3 against Davis & Elkins in the series, dating back to the NAIA days in 1983. The Senators defeated the Cavaliers 69-54 two weeks ago at Alumni Arena, the first meeting of the season. Kimmie Borck led the Cavs with 11 points. Looking ahead to Saturday, Walsh is 8-2 versus the Battlers, including four straight for the Maroon and Gold. Mayci Sales led the 88-66 victory two weeks ago with 20 points.
- Walsh outscored Ohio Dominican 25-12 in the third quarter, rallying to a 69-61 win on the road in Columbus, Ohio on Saturday (Feb. 2).
- The Cavaliers are 15-6 overall and 11-4 in the G-MAC with two straight wins.
- Quionche Carter and Tyler Newkirk each scored 15 points for the Cavaliers. Carter scored six baskets and three free throws to go along with her team-high eight rebounds and five assists. For the season, Carter is the leading freshman in D2 and is ranked second in the league with 17.2 points per game.
- Newkirk scored a career-high 15 points in 29 minutes with four baskets (two threes) and five free throws.
- Hannah Blake gave the Cavs eight points off the bench and Mayci Sales led the squad with seven boards.
- Kimmie Borck scored 10 points, including five free throws. Borck has scored double-figures each of the last six games as she has averaged 12.5 points per game. Over her last six games, she is shooting 55.3% overall, 48.1% from three-point land and 76.9% from the free throw line. Overall, she averages 6.5 points per game.
- The team averages 77.2 points per game and are 10-2 when they score more than the team average. When they score 80 or more, they are 9-1.
- As a team, Walsh leads the G-MAC in the categories of total rebounds, points scored, field goals made, total blocks, assists and offensive rebounds.
- With seven games to go, Walsh is 3-4 against the teams left on the schedule. The opponents have a 60-76 overall record and a 48-51 G-MAC record this season. Right now, the Cavaliers are tied for third with Findlay. Since Walsh beat Findlay this season, Walsh holds the tiebreaker and is slated to host Ohio Dominican in the G-MAC Quarterfinals.
DAVIS & ELKINS NOTES
- Davis & Elkins has an overall record of 6-13 and a G-MAC mark of 5-9 this season. The Senators have won two straight games, dating back to the win at Walsh two weeks ago. The last game was a 60-52 victory over Alderson Broaddus last Saturday. Jamiyah Johnson had a double-double (11 points and 18 rebounds) for the Senators.
- Kali Wilburn is the leading scorer for D&E with 13.6 points, the eighth-highest total in the conference. Colleena Burdock is second with 9.6 points per game.
- Johnson is the leading rebounder with 6.6 rebounds per game, fifth in the G-MAC.
- The Senators are 3-4 at home and have not played at home since January 12th.
ALDERSON BROADDUS NOTES
- The Battlers are 3-14 overall and 3-11 in the G-MAC heading into a home game against Malone on Thursday. AB have lost nine straight overall and are 0-6 at home this season. Alderson Broaddus fell 60-52 to Davis & Elkins last week.
- Ta'Sharra Jeffries led with ten points in the game against D&E.
- The leading scorer for Alderson Broaddus is Jeana Weatherspoon, with 9.3 points per game. Yasmin Norman is second with 8.0 points per game along with leading the team in rebounds (6.5 per game).
|At A Glance||Walsh||Davis & Elkins||Alderson Broaddus|
|Scoring Offense||77.2 (2)||60.6 (11)||60.1 (12)|
|Scoring Defense||65.2 (5)||62.6 (4)||69.6 (9)|
|Scoring Margin||12.0 (2)||-2.0 (7)||-9.5 (13)|
|Free Throw %||71.4 (7)||72.6 (6)||68.5 (10)|
|Field Goal %||44.3 (2)||38.7 (T-9)||36.1 (13)|
|Field Goal % Defense||38.9 (T-4)||41.1 (8)||43.2 (13)|
|3 Point %||32.0 (6)||27.3 (12)||29.8 (11)|
|3 Point Defense %||30.9 (5)||31.5 (7)||33.4 (11)|
|3 Point FG Made||6.7 (8)||4.9 (13)||5.4 (11)|
|Rebounding Offense||41.4 (1)||35.4 (10)||34.2 (11)|
|Rebounding Defense||33.1 (1)||33.5 (4)||39.1 (T-8)|
|Rebounding Margin||8.3 (1)||1.9 (4)||-4.9 (12)|
|Blocks||4.0 (T-2)||0.7 (14)||2.5 (7)|
|Assists||15.1 (2)||9.5 (13)||9.9 (12)|
|Steals||7.6 (7)||8.1 (6)||9.9 (3)|
|Turnover Margin||-0.43 (7)||-0.53 (8)||1.0 (5)|
|A/TO Ratio||1.0 (T-3)||0.5 (13)||0.6 (T-11)|
|Offensive Rebounds||13.6 (1)||12.6 (T-5)||12.6 (T-5)|
|Defensive Rebounds||27.9 (4)||22.8 (13)||21.5 (14)|
AROUND THE LEAGUE
|Thursday 2/7/19||Saturday 2/9/19|
|Walsh @ Davis & Elkins||Walsh @ Alderson Broaddus|
|Malone @ Alderson Broaddus||Malone @ Davis & Elkins|
|Tiffin @ Trevecca Nazarene||Findlay @ Hillsdale|
|Ohio Valley @ Ursuline||Tiffin @ Kentucky Wesleyan|
|Ohio Dominican @ Lake Erie||Cedarville @ Trevecca Nazarene|
|Cedarville @ Kentucky Wesleyan||Ohio Valley @ Lake Erie|
|Ohio Dominican @ Ursuline|
The Cavaliers will host Trevecca Nazarene and Kentucky Wesleyan next week as the regular season winds down.