NORTH CANTON, Ohio – After winning the previous four road games, the Walsh women's basketball team returns to Alumni Arena for four of the final five games. The Cavaliers will look to clinch a Great Midwest tournament berth as they host the Trevecca Nazarene Trojans at 5:30 PM on Thursday (Feb. 14). Saturday will see two of the top teams in the G-MAC take to the court. The conference-leading Kentucky Wesleyan Panthers will face Walsh at 1:00 PM on Saturday (Feb. 16).
- Live Stats/Video (Trevecca)
- Game Notes (Trevecca)
- Live Stats/Video (Kentucky Wesleyan)
- Game Notes (Kentucky Wesleyan)
The Cavaliers have battled both the Trojans and Panthers three times in the series history over the last two seasons. Trevecca is 2-1 against the Cavaliers as they won the first matchup this season 80-75 in Nashville. Quionche Carter led the Cavs with 30 points in that contest. Walsh is 2-1 against the Panthers as the Panthers also won the first meeting back in December, 82-81. Carter scored 21 points in the contest in Owensboro. The two losses on the road were the last time that Walsh has dropped consecutive games.
- Walsh won their fourth consecutive game with three great quarters in a 75-42 win at Alderson Broaddus last Saturday (Feb. 9). After trailing 12-10 after one quarter, Walsh outscored the Battlers 50-21 in the final two quarters and 65-30 in the last three quarters.
- The Cavaliers are 17-6 overall and 13-4 in the conference after their third winning streak of four or more games this season (two streaks of five wins).
- Mayci Sales scored 19 points as she was precise from the floor, shooting nine-of-ten overall. Along with leading the team in scoring, Sales grabbed a team-high nine rebounds. Over her last two games, Sales is shooting 82% (19-for-23) while scoring 19.5 points per game. For the season, she is scoring 11.3 points a game, grabbing 6.3 rebounds a game and shooting 52.4% overall.
- Tyler Newkirk scored 11 points in her fourth straight start. Over the last four starts, she is shooting 50% from the field (10-of-20), 50% from deep (6-for-12) for 7.75 points per game.
- Carter scored 11 points on five-of-five shooting. Overall, she is second in the conference with 16.5 points per game and a 50.4% field goal percentage.
- On the four game winning streak, the defense has allowed less than 50 points in three games. For the streak, the defense average is 47.75 points per contest. Walsh has held opponents under 50 points four times this season.
- Walsh has held teams under ten points in a quarter 15 times this season. Walsh allowed nine points in the second and third quarter against Alderson Broaddus. That is the fourth time this season it has been done twice in a game.
- The Cavaliers rank first in the following total categories: points scored (1,778), field goals (653), rebounds (952), assists (354), offensive rebounds (311).
- With five games to go, Walsh is 2-3 against the teams left on the schedule. The opponents have a 59-51 overall record and a 48-33 G-MAC record this season. Walsh is tied with Cedarville for the #2 seed and will face three teams currently in the running for the tournament.
TREVECCA NAZARENE NOTES
- Trevecca is 10-12 overall and 9-7 in the G-MAC this season after a 70-61 loss to Cedarville. The Trojans had won four straight games before the defeat to Cedarville.
- The Trojans are 4-5 away from home this season.
- Callie Hackett is the leading scorer with 13.2 points per game.
- Brittin Boyer averages nearly a double-double with 11.6 points per game and 8.0 rebounds a game. She is second in the league in rebounds per game.
- The team is first in the conference with 226 steals this season.
KENTUCKY WESLEYAN NOTES
- The Panthers enter the week with a 19-3 overall record and 15-1 G-MAC mark as the team has won 15 straight games, dating back to December 13th. They will face Malone on the road on Thursday.
- Kentucky Wesleyan defeated Tiffin 87-62 last week for win #15 in a row.
- Jenna Martin leads the Panthers with 13.6 points per game, ninth in the conference. She is second in three-point percentage (43.5%).
- Keelie Lamb (12.2 PPG) and Kaylee Clifford (10.3 PPG) are double-digit scorers for the Panthers.
- The Panthers leads the conference in free throws made (359), free throws attempted (487) and three pointers made (214).
|Walsh||Trevecca Nazarene||Kentucky Wesleyan|
|Free Throw %||71.4%||7th||67.7%||11th||73.7%||4th|
|Field Goal %||45.2%||T-1st||37.6%||11th||43.6%||3rd|
|Field Goal % Defense||38.2%||T-2nd||41.4%||9th||38.2%||T-2nd|
|3 Point %||33.3%||T-5th||26.9%||12th||37.5%||2nd|
|3 Point Defense %||29.5%||T-3rd||29.3%||2nd||29.5%||T-3rd|
|3 Point FG Made||6.9||7th||5.9||10th||9.7||1st|
AROUND THE LEAGUE
|Thursday 2/14/19||Saturday 2/16/19|
|Ohio Valley @ Davis & Elkins||Hillsdale @ Lake Erie|
|Ohio Dominican @ Alderson Broaddus||Davis & Elkins @ Ohio Dominican|
|Findlay @ Lake Erie||Kentucky Wesleyan @ Walsh|
|Trevecca Nazarene @ Walsh||Ohio Valley @ Alderson Broaddus|
|Kentucky Wesleyan @ Malone||Tiffin @ Cedarville|
|Hillsdale @ Ursuline||Trevecca Nazarene @ Malone|
|Findlay @ Ursuline|
The Cavaliers will travel across town to Malone for the Mayor's Cup battle next Saturday (Feb. 23).