NORTH CANTON, Ohio – For the second straight season, the defending G-MAC champion Walsh Cavaliers women's basketball team will open the season against two teams from the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. The Cavaliers will host the Wayne State Warriors on Friday (Nov. 8) at 5:30 PM and Ferris State Bulldogs on Saturday (Nov. 9) at 5 PM as a part of the GLIAC/G-MAC Challenge.
- Live Stats
- Live Audio/Video
- GameDay Program
- Game Notes (Walsh)
- Game Notes (Wayne State)
- Game Notes (Ferris State)
Walsh enters the 2019-20 season after an historic season ended in the NCAA Midwest Regional last March. Walsh was 25-7 overall last season with a G-MAC regular season title, G-MAC Tournament Championship and the program's first NCAA Tournament berth. The 25 wins were the most since 2010-11 when the Cavaliers were in the NAIA.
The G-MAC/GLIAC Challenge kicks off the season as Walsh will play host to former GLIAC foes Wayne State and Ferris State in the opening weekend.
Walsh was a member of the GLIAC from 2012 through 2017, when they moved to the G-MAC.
Quionche Carter and Mayci Sales, who made the G-MAC All-Conference First Team, will return for their sophomore and junior campaigns, respectively. Carter earned D2CCA Midwest Region Second Team honors after a freshman season with 17.1 points per game.
- Sales averaged 11.5 points and 6.3 rebounds per game in her sophomore season.
- Walsh returns five of the top six scorers from last season, including Lexie Scarton (7.5 PPG), Kimmie Borck (6.8 PPG), and Jamie Halloran (6.8 PPG).
Last month, Walsh was selected as the G-MAC Preseason Coaches Poll favorite for the 2019-20 season.
- The Cavaliers earned 11 of 13 first place votes with Kentucky Wesleyan finishing second in the poll.
In an exhibition game at Ohio, Walsh fell 83-77 to the Bobcats despite double-doubles from Carter and Sales. Carter made 13 free throws as she totaled 27 points and ten rebounds. Sales led all players with 15 boards along with 21 points.
Head coach Kate Bruce is in her fourth season at the helm of the Cavaliers, securing an overall record of 61-29.
WAYNE STATE NOTES
- Wayne State finished the 2018-19 season 13-16 as they entered the GLIAC Tournament as the eighth seed.
- The Warriors lost their leading scorer and rebounder from last season but retain senior Nastassja Chambers, who averaged 11.6 points and 3.5 rebounds per game.
- Chambers was named to the All-GLIAC South Division Preseason Team for the second straight year.
- In the GLIAC Preseason Poll, the Warriors were slotted fourth in the South Division.
- Last season, Wayne State averaged 63.2 points per game on 36.5% shooting from the floor.
- Walsh and Wayne State have faced off eight times with the series knotted at four. Walsh is 3-0 in Alumni Arena against the Green and Gold. The last meeting was 2017 with the Cavaliers bested the Warriors 81-72 in overtime.
FERRIS STATE NOTES
- Ferris State opens the season at Lake Erie on Friday before traveling to North Canton on Saturday.
- The Bulldogs were 14-13 last season as the fifth seed in the GLIAC Tournament.
- Last season's leading scorer, Alexis Bush, graduated but Ferris State returns three double-digit scorers: Lily George (10.7 PPG), Riley Blair (10.5 PPG) and Adrienne Anderson (10.2 PPG).
- The leading rebounder, Brayene Benner, returns after 8.5 points and 7.9 rebounds per game.
- Ferris State was voted third in the GLIAC North Division Preseason Poll, the same spot they finished in last season.
- In 27 games, the Bulldogs scored 67.8 points per game on 41.9% shooting.
- The series history between the Bulldogs and Cavaliers is five games as Ferris State leads 3-2. Walsh is 1-2 at home in the series, dropping the most recent meeting 60-51 in 2016.
Walsh hosts Urbana in a non-conference matchup on Wednesday (Nov. 13) at 5:30 PM.